Note: ingredients with **** are for homemade marinara. If you want to use your favorite sauce in a jar, you will need 4.5 cups of your jarred marinara sauce and omit the ingredients with ****
This might be the most delicious dish I’ve made in the IP. The extra steps to make your own marinara with vodka are all worth it, in my opinion. So good!
1 shallot chopped
****2 bulbs of garlic (“roasted” in the IP)
Mushrooms chopped (optional)
Bacon fat (or olive oil for sauteing) 1-2tsp
0.5-1lb italian sausage (I used chicken italian sausage)
*****1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
****1 14oz can of diced tomatoes (with basil, garlic and oregano if you can find it)
****A few leaves of basil chopped
****1tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 cups chicken stock/water (I used chicken stock)
1 1lb box of mini penne or pasta or your choice
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup parmesan for sauce and some more to top pasta with when you serve it
Salt and pepper to taste
Crushed red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
***if you want to use marinara from a jar (you need 4.5cups marinara) steps 1,2 and 4 are optional. You will start with sauteing shallots, some chopped garlic, mushrooms and italian sausage then go to step 5.
1. Cut off tops of the garlic bulbs. Put 1 cup water in the IP, trivet, and steamer basket inside then put the garlic bulbs with the tops cut off in the steamer basket. Press manual, high 9mins. Quick release and take them out, set aside and let them cool. Remove the water and trivet from the pot. Press sautè to evaporate remaining water.
2. Once the bottom of the pot is dry, put 1-2 tsp of bacon fat or olive oil in the pot. Sautè the shallots for about 1min, then add in the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Saute mushrooms and shallots for a few minutes. take them out and set aside.
Once the garlic is cool enough to touch, remove the skins, put in a bowl and mash up with a fork. Set aside.
3. Brown the italian sausage for a few minutes until cooked. Once the sausage is cooked, add in the vodka to deglaze. Let the alcohol evaporate for a few mins until the liquid is reduced by half.
4. Pour in the can of crushed tomatoes, and diced tomatoes. Add crushed roasted garlic, chopped basil and dried oregano. Stir. Close lid and seal. Press cancel, then press manual, high 30mins. Quick release. Press cancel. Open pot and you can use an immersion blender to make the consistency of the sauce uniform or leave it as is. Get 4.5cups of the vodka marinara to use for the pasta and freeze/refrigerate the rest for later use.
5. Pour in 1.5 cups of water/chicken stock. Add in the 4.5cups of marinara sauce either the homemade sauce of from a jar. Add in the sauteed mushrooms and shallots, pasta and the butter, season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes if you want a little kick. Stir everything together well and make sure to scrape the bottom of the pot to remove anything that is stuck. Close lid, seal, press manual high for 7mins. Quick release.
6. Open lid and stir everything, add 1/2 cup of heavy cream and 1/4 cup of parmesan. Stir well. Serve with more parmesan on top. Enjoy 🙂
Credits to pressureluck – I followed his general procedure and cooking time but tweaked the recipe a bit and omitted cream cheese 🙂